Holidays can be a very exciting time for all the family, but for some travelling to your destination can be a little overwhelming! Here are our top tips to start your holiday the right way!
For the Flight
- Download TripIT. TripIt isn't your average travel app, It's a free webapp and smartphone app that manages your itinerary and makes getting your boarding pass much easier. In some cases it can even help you get a digital boarding pass so you don't need to print one at all. You can also use your smartphone as a way to look up gate information. It provides maps for every airport, and lets face it when travelling with kids and you are frantically trying to find some food or the closest toilet this can be a life saver!
- Stock up on flasks and water bottles, you can fill these up once you have got through security, head to one of the many cafes and ask them to warm up some milk for the little ones or a much needed tea for the grown ups, we recommend Chilly's they can keep things cold for 12 hours and warm for 8 plus they come in a huge selection of colours and prints.
- Bring plenty of chewy sweets, give these to the kids just as you are taking off and when you begin to land. The chewing will really help if their ears start to pop, if your little one is too young for chewy sweets give them some water or milk, the movement of the jaw will work the same.
- If you are flying early in the morning or late at night keep the kids in their pyjamas, making sure they are comfortable will ease your flight and will also help them adjust to any new time zones.
For the Beach
- Bring plenty of towels! Most hotels provide them but sometimes kids like to have their own, we recommend microfiber towels as they are great at repelling sand and dry super quick! Plus they are usually compact and come with their own carry bag so don't take up too much room in your case
- Bring some beach activities! Sunnylife have a great selection of bats and balls or inflatables that are perfect for keeping the whole family entertained
- Of course don't forget your Robert & Son shorts!
Out and About
- Ask your hotel about things to see and do in the local area, download google maps and then set your phone to flight mode! This ensures you won't end up with an enormous phone bill at the end of the holiday due to high 4G usage and acts as a free map/sat-nav. With many phone providers data roaming in Europe is now included in your package but this is always worth double checking before you go
- Buy a language book or download an app to help you communicate with the locals
We hope these simple tips help ease your holiday travels! Let us know if you have any tips in the comments! Happy Holidays!